During his keynote speech at the April 13 Phoenix Challenge Conference, former Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Dr. Michael Vickers shared his assessment of the Top 5 Trends in Information Operations and their implications. One need only read news and journals (and not just exclusive to the IO community) to see these trends playing out across the globe.
- Information Operations (IO) is central to strategic (“Great Power”) competition, particularly with Russia and in China’s effort to displace the United States.
- The information space is dramatically expanded with social media.
- Polarization of the information sphere, putting democracies at a disadvantage.
- False/fake information proliferation.
- Application of technology (cyber, artificial intelligence/machine learning) to increase the power of IO.