Facebook Tackles Rising Threat: Americans Aping Russian Schemes to Deceive
New York Times, Sheera Frenkel, October 11th, 2018
- Real-time spreading of disinformation started by Americans, for Americans
- Shift the flow of online disinformation to mislead and inflame
- Weeks before the midterm elections, influence campaigns are a domestic phenomenon fomented by Americans on the left and the right
- There are now well-developed networks of Americans targeting other Americans with purposefully designed manipulations
- Raises potential free speech issues when Facebook and Twitter find and curtail such accounts that originate in the U.S.
- If you look at volume, the majority of the information operations we see are domestic actors, said Nathaniel Gleicher, Facebook’s head of security